All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionPassion and history unite in this account of Gaelic games at the University of Limerick and its predecessors on the Plassey campus, the National College of Physical Education, Thomond College of Education and the National Institute of Higher Education. It is a story of forging an identity in challenging institutional and sporting contexts. The Plassey clubs were clearly different from community-based GAA clubs but at their foundations were the Association's traditional spirit and ethos. The strength of the UL club is testament to the rich history that it has inherited. Plassey's Gaels have kwn glory and failure, joy and heartbreak. The brilliant Thomond team of 1977 - 78 won All-Ireland club football hours. Among the club's sweetest victories was the Fitzgibbon Cup hurling triumph of 1989, having previously been denied access to the premier intervarsity competitions. There have been emotive boardroom wrangles and off-field controversies. Some of the finest players of the modern era have the worn the jerseys of NCPE, Thomond, NIHE and UL, including Pat Spillane, Brian Mullins, Fiona O'Driscoll and Seamus Hickey. The campus has evolved dramatically over the last forty years but the collegial experience has remained constant and essentially undiluted. It is about love of the games, camaraderie and friendship.
- Author BiographyJohn O'Callaghan has published widely on twentieth-century Irish history. He is a graduate of the University of Limerick and is a member of Na Piarsaigh GAA Club, Limerick.
- Author(s)John O'Callaghan
- PublisherThe Collins Press
- Date of Publication14/05/2013
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationCork
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintThe Collins Press
- Out-of-print date22/06/2016
- Content NotePhotos
- Weight658 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.