All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionOriginally published between 1944 and 1953, Poyln (Poland) is one of the treasures of Yiddish literature. Despite its reputation, the book has t been fully translated into English until w. Written by Yehiel Yeshaia Trunk, a prominent Polish Jewish writer, Poyln is a colourful epic, a moving testimony, and an important primary historical source that presents a portrait of Polish Jewry against the backdrop of the Nazi gecide. The undisputed hero of the story is the national community of Polish Jews. To portray this community, Trunk creates a rich gallery of characters - Hassidic patricians, timber merchants, rich landowners, brilliant Talmudists, Orthodox rabbis, and Hasidic tsadikim. He also depicts ordinary village and small-town Jews, artisans, shopkeepers, workers, and Luftmenschen, all of them members of one extended family. Particularly valuable aspects of Poyln are its examination of different trends in the Hasidic movement and the author's attempt to bridge the gap between his secular generation and its religious ancestors. In short, Trunk's work aims to show Jewishness as a way of life. This is the first instalment of a multi-volume edition of Poyln, the first English translation to be published. Here begins a story of the beauty and pathos of the world of Polish Jewry, a world that was almost totally destroyed by the Nazis.
- Author BiographyYehiel Yeshaia trunk(1887-1961) was a Yiddish essayist and writer. Piotr J. Wr bel holds the Konstanty Reynert Chair of Polish History at the University of Toronto. Robert M. Shapiro is an associate professor in the Department of Judaic Studies at Brooklyn College. Anna Clarke is a professor emeritus of Carleton University.
- Author(s)Yehiel Yeshaia Trunk
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication06/04/2016
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Weight280 g
- Width153 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited byPiotr J. Wrobel,Robert Moses Shapiro
- Translated byAnna Clarke
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.