All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThroughout the ages architects have attempted to capture the essence of living systems as design inspiration. However, practitioners of the built environment have had to deal with a fundamental split between the artificial urban landscape and nature owing to a techlogical 'gap' that means architects have been unable to make effective use of biological systems in urban environments. Protocell Architecture is an edition of AD that shows for the first time that contemporary architects can create and construct architectures that are bottom up, synthetically biological, green and have recourse to shallow bio-mimicry. In the next few decades, synthetic biology is set to have as much, if t more, impact on architecture as cyberspace and the digital. The key to these amazing architectural invations is the Protocell.
- Author BiographyNeil Spiller is Head of the School of Architecture & Construction at the University of Greenwich, London. Director of The AVATAR Research Group, he was previously Professor of Architecture and Digital Theory and Vice Dean of the Bartlett School of Architecture at University College, London. He is on the Editorial Boards of Architectural Design and Technoetic Arts magazines. He lectures around the world and his work has been exhibited and published worldwide. He is a visionary architect and has an international reputation as an innovative architect, critic, theorist, teacher and author. Rachel Armstrong is a medical doctor, author, AVATAR Researcher and Teaching Fellow at the Bartlett School of Architecture.
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication18/03/2011
- Series TitleArchitectural Design
- Place of PublicationChichester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight564 g
- Width209 mm
- Height277 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.