Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $17.30Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by crokat53
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn intriguing work of history, philosophy, and popular science that explores the human desire to quest. Scientists continually look for the genetic factors that make humans so very different in appearance and behaviour from most animals -- the genes that are uniquely human. Respected biochemist and author Charles Pasternak argues that such genes do t exist. Instead, he suggests that it is our desire to quest -- for food and shelter, for kwledge, for wealth, for adventure -- coupled with our unique physical abilities to do so that have controlled our evolution and have led humans to develop away from closely related animals. In this intriguing work of history, philosophy, and popular science, Pasternak uses his extensive biological kwledge to discuss mana s nature and achievements, his genetic makeup, and his evolution.
- Author BiographyCharles A. Pasternak is a biochemist and founding Director of the Oxford International Biomedical Centre. His previous academic experience has included research and teaching posts at the universities of Oxford, London (St George's Medical School), Yale and California (UCSD Medical School). While at St George's Medical School, he was founder and Chairman of the Department of Biochemistry, which he later expanded into the Department of Cellular and Molecular Sciences. Charles Pasternak is acclaimed for his pioneering work in membrane research and is a tireless promoter of international collaboration, working with UNESCO, IUBMB and universities worldwide. He is the author of a number of books and is editor--in--chief of a scientific journal. He has recently turned his attention to communicating scientific subjects to a broader readership. Charles comes from a highly talented family. He is nephew of Boris Pasternak, author of Doctor Zhivago, and grandson of Leonid Pasternak, the Russian Impressionist painter.
- Author(s)Charles Pasternak
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication29/06/2004
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationChichester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations, facsims., ports.
- Weight484 g
- Width134 mm
- Height199 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Foreword byBaruch Blumberg
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.74Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.