All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
About this product
- DescriptionHigher education faces a new century with many contradictions still unresolved. Elitist models of universities coexist with mass higher education in an increasingly divided society. Academic automy has been eroded and the creative independence of institutions is at a premium. New techlogy challenges profoundly the organization of academic life. Educational values struggle with those of training. The writers in this book envisage a system of higher education fit for the new millennium. They challenge the fatalism of much current thinking about mass higher education and identify the ways universities must take the initiative in defining radically different models of their futures. They look to universities which are accessible, accountable and growing steadily with adequate resources. They envisage institutions which promote democratic values, offer high quality lifelong learning opportunities and are based on a new contract with, and vision for, the society they serve. Repositioning Higher Education develops a powerful critique of current orthodoxies in higher education and will provoke further open debate about the role of higher education in modern society.
- Author BiographyFrank Coffield is Professor of Education at the University of Newcastle, having worked previously at the universities of Durham and Keele. He is Director of the Economic and Social Research Council's #2 million research programme into The Learning Society (from 1994 to 1999). Bill Williamson is Professor of Continuing Education at the University of Durham. He has also worked in universities in Germany, Turkey and Egypt. He is currently working on projects concerned with the role of higher education in regional, social and economic development.
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/04/1997
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Series TitleSociety for Research into Higher Education
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Content Noteindex
- Weight270 g
- Width149 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byBill Williamson,Frank Coffield
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.