Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.10
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- DescriptionGrowing up in the interwar period in London, Rosalind Franklin was determined to become a scientist, defying her father's wishes. After World War II, Franklin worked at the French government's central chemical research laboratory, where she learned X-ray crystallography. This technique relies on a beam of X-rays that passes through a crystal and strikes photographic film, letting a trained reader to see a three-dimensional arrangement of atoms. Her training in this field led to opportunities to photograph DNA, which allowed researchers to study in depth this complex molecule and to come to conclusions about its structure, including scientists James Watson and Francis Crick. Though Franklin proposed several conclusions similar to Watson and Crick's, Franklin was t sufficiently credited for her photographic work that led to their discovery. In 1958, this unsung scientist's life was cut short at age 37 by ovarian cancer. Watson and Crick later won a Nobel Prize for their DNA research, but credit escaped the late scientist with the artist's eye for capturing complex atoms on film. Rosalind Franklin delves into this woman's remarkable career and her contributions to the study of human biology.
- Author BiographyLisa Yount is a graduate of Stanford University in English and creative writing. For approximately 45 years, she has written educational materials for young people. She has written or edited more than 50 books, nine of which have won awards or been included on most recommended lists. Ms. Yount's books for Facts On File and Chelsea House include Forensic Science, Modern Marine Science, Energy Supply, Patients' Rights in the Age of Managed Health Care, A to Z of Biologists , and many volumes in the Makers of Modern Science and Trailblazers in Science and Technology sets.
- Author(s)Lisa Yount
- PublisherFacts On File Inc
- Date of Publication15/10/2011
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCheckmark Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.