All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRuling America offers a paramic history of our country's ruling elites from the time of the American Revolution to the present. At its heart is the greatest of American paradoxes: How have tiny mirities of the rich and privileged consistently exercised so much power in a nation built on the tion of rule by the people? In a series of thought-provoking essays, leading scholars of American history examine every epoch in which ruling ecomic elites have shaped our national experience. They explore how elites came into existence, how they established their dominance over public affairs, and how their rule came to an end. The contributors analyze the elite coalition that led the Revolution and then examine the antebellum planters of the South and the merchant patricians of the North. Later chapters vividly portray the Gilded Age robber barons, the great finance capitalists in the age of J. P. Morgan, and the foreign-policy Establishment of the post-World War II years. The book concludes with a dissection of the corporate-led counter-revolution against the New Deal characteristic of the Reagan and Bush era.Rarely in the last half-century has one book afforded such a comprehensive look at the ways elite wealth and power have influenced the American experiment with democracy. At a time when the distribution of wealth and power has never been more unequal, Ruling America is of urgent contemporary relevance.
- Author BiographySteve Fraser is a writer and historian living in New York. Gary Gerstle is Professor of History, University of Maryland.
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2005
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Weight468 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edited byGary Gerstle,Steve Fraser
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.22Trending at AU $37.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.