All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
- AU $29.47Free postage
- AU $29.48Free postage
About this product
- DescriptionAD 72. Titus Flavius Vespasianus, kwn as Vespasian, is Emperor of Rome, but his grip on power grows increasingly fragile as ecomic disaster threatens. The ermous riches from his Judaean campaigns are all but spent, legions go unpaid, and the yields from Rome's vital Spanish goldfields have fallen dramatically since the civil war. Gaius Valerius Verrens is recently married and building a new home when the summons arrives from the Emperor. Vespasian needs a man with the combined skills of a lawyer and a soldier to investigate what is happening in remote, mountaius Asturica Augusta where the authorities claim a bandit called The Ghost is ravaging the gold convoys. But when Valerius arrives in Asturica he faces a much more complex situation. Stalked from the shadows he cant tell ally from enemy, the exploited native tribes are a growing threat, and the tortured landscape itself seems capable of swallowing him up. Gradually he finds himself drawn into a much wider conspiracy, one that could plunge the Empire into a new conflict and that will place him on a deadly collision course with his old friend and most dangerous adversary, the former gladiator Serpentius.
- Author BiographyA journalist by profession, Douglas Jackson transformed a lifelong fascination for Rome and the Romans in to his first two novels highly-praised novels, Caligula and Claudius. His third novel, Hero of Rome, introduced readers to his new series hero, Gaius Valerius Verrens. Defender of Rome, Avenger of Rome and Sword of Rome followed, winning critical acclaim and confirming Douglas as one of the UK's foremost historical novelists. An active member of the Historical Writers Association and the Historical Novels Society, He lives near Stirling in Scotland.
- Author(s)Douglas Jackson
- PublisherTransworld Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication25/08/2016
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Series TitleGaius Valerius Verrens
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBantam Press
- Weight645 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine34 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.61Trending at AU $31.89
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.92
- AU $29.92Trending at AU $31.44
- AU $46.03Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $12.75Trending at AU $13.19
- AU $19.76Trending at AU $20.49
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.