All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe distinguished physicist describes the scientific principles of musical sound in a precise, n-technical way that will engage both amateur and serious musicians. Topics include development of human hearing, general properties of sound curves, transmission and reproduction of sound curves, methods of producing sound, and harmony and discord. Includes 75 illustrations.
- Author BiographySir James Jeans: Science Made SimpleSir James Jeans (1877 1946), English physicist, astronomer, and mathematician, made substantial contributions to many areas of science including quantum theory, the theory of radiation, and stellar evolution, but is most remembered today for several elegantly written books on science and its meaning for the general reader. Among these are the classics Physics and Philosophy, published by Dover in 1981, and Science and Music, published by Dover in 1968. In the Author's Own Words: Put three grains of sand inside a vast cathedral, and the cathedral will be more closely packed with sand than space is with stars. Life exists in the universe only because the carbon atom possesses certain exceptional properties. The human race, whose intelligence dates back only a single tick of the astronomical clock, could hardly hope to understand so soon what it all means. From Physics and Philosophy Science usually advances by a succession of small steps, through a fog in which even the most keen-sighted explorer can seldom see more than a few paces ahead. Occasionally the fog lifts, an eminence is gained, and a wider stretch of territory can be surveyed sometimes with startling results. A whole science may then seem to undergo a kaleidoscopic rearrangement, fragments of knowledge sometimes being found to fit together in a hitherto unsuspected manner. Sometimes the shock of readjustment may spread to other sciences; sometimes it may divert the whole current of human thought.
- Author(s)Sir James Jeans
- PublisherDover Publications Inc.
- Date of Publication01/06/1968
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDover Publications Inc.
- Out-of-print date02/10/2015
- Content Note75 illustrations
- Weight315 g
- Width130 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition StatementNew edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.66
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.84
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.