All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSecurity Games: Surveillance and Control at Mega-Events addresses the impact of mega-events - such as the Olympic Games and the World Cup - on wider practices of security and surveillance. Mega-Events pose peculiar and extensive security challenges. The overwhelming imperative is that thing should go wrong. There are, however, an almost infinite number of things that can go wrong ; producing the perceived need for pre-emptive risk assessments, and an expanding range of security measures, including extensive forms and levels of surveillance. These measures are delivered by a security/industrial complex consisting of powerful transnational corporate, governmental and military actors, eager to showcase the latest techlogies and prove that they can deliver spectacular levels of security . Mega-events have thus become occasions for experiments in monitoring people and places. And, as such, they have become important moments in the development and dispersal of surveillance, as the infrastructure established for mega-events are often marketed as security solutions for the more routine monitoring of people and place. Mega-events, then, w serve as focal points for the proliferation of security and surveillance. They are microcosms of larger trends and processes, through which - as the contributors to this volume demonstrate - we can observe the complex ways that security and surveillance are w implicated in unique confluences of techlogy, institutional motivations, and public-private security arrangements. As the exceptional conditions of the mega-event become the rm, Security Games: Surveillance and Control at Mega-Events therefore provides the glimpse of a possible future that is more intensively and extensively monitored.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/2012
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight330 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Edited byColin J. Bennett,Kevin Haggerty
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.13
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.52
- AU $29.12Trending at AU $29.58
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.