All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionBeautifully illustrated with line drawings and photographs, engagingly presented, and richly detailed, this charming guide traces the architectural and social history of Manhattan one building at a time. The island of Manhattan has been through remarkable architectural and social change throughout its history. Organized roughly by neighborhoods, this book explores the seemingly never-ending depths of architectural, personal, and social history of Manhattan, building by building. Follow the family feud that led to the construction of the luxurious Waldorf Astoria, or trace the decay of a once proud home to an increasingly humble storefront, delving into the surprising, sometimes scandalous, often touching stories of the people who lived there along the way. Alongside the details about each architect, dates, and styles, author Tom Miller reveals the joys, tragedies, and scandals of those who lived within. In addition to iconic structures, the book includes many off-the-beaten-path buildings that most guidebooks overlook, as well as table buildings that longer stand but remain key to Manhattan's architectural history. Beautifully researched, engagingly presented, and richly detailed, Seeking New York is truly a must-read for anyone interested in the story of New York and how it got that way.
- Author BiographyTom Miller moved to New York City in 1979 from Dayton, Ohio, bringing with him a passion for buildings. He currently holds the rank of deputy inspector within the NYPD's Auxiliary Police Force. In 2009 he started a blog, Daytonian in Manhattan, which has now reviewed over a thousand buildings, statues, and other points of interest.
- Author(s)Tom Miller
- PublisherUniverse Publishing
- Date of Publication01/05/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniverse Publishing
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width117 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.