All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.32
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $44.56
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
About this product
- DescriptionReleased in 1965, Sergei Paradjav's Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors is a landmark of Soviet-era cinema yet, because its emphasis on folklore and mysticism in traditional Carpathian Hutsul culture broke with Soviet realism, it caused Paradjav to be blacklisted soon after its release. This book is the first full-length companion to the film. In addition to a sypsis of the plot and a close analysis of the many levels of symbolism in the film, it offers a history of the film's legendarily troubled production process (which included Paradjav challenging a cinematographer to a duel). The book closes with an account of the film's reception by critics, ordinary viewers, and Soviet officials, and the numerous controversies that have kept it a subject of heated debate for decades. An essential companion to a fascinating, complicated work of cinema art, this book will be invaluable to students, scholars, and regular film buffs alike.
- Author BiographyJoshua First is the Croft Associate Professor of History and International Studies at the Croft Institute for International Studies at the University of Mississippi.
- Author(s)Joshua First
- PublisherIntellect Books
- Date of Publication15/10/2016
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintIntellect Books
- Weight159 g
- Width178 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.