All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPart of a new series Legends from the Ancient North, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is one of the classic books that influenced JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings 'Tomorrow I must set off to receive that blow, to seek out that creature in green, God help me!' J.R.R. Tolkien spent much of his life studying, translating and teaching the great epic stories of rthern Europe, filled with heroes, dragons, trolls, dwarves and magic. He was hugely influential for his advocacy of Beowulf as a great work of literature and, even if he had never written The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, would be recognised today as a significant figure in the rediscovery of these extraordinary tales. Legends from the Ancient North brings together from Penguin Classics five of the key works behind Tolkien's fiction.They are startling, brutal, strange pieces of writing, with an elemental power brilliantly preserved in these translations.They plunge the reader into a world of treachery, quests, chivalry, trials of strength.They are the most ancient narratives that exist from rthern Europe and bring us as near as we will ever get to the origins of the magical landscape of Middle-earth (Midgard) which Tolkien remade in the 20th century.
- Author Biography<b>Bernard O'Donoghue</b> is a Fellow in English at Wadham College and a noted Irish poet.
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication07/11/2013
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight104 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Translated byBernard O'Donoghue
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.88
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.15
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.66
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.21
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.08
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.20
- AU $30.32Trending at AU $31.91
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.