All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.86Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
About this product
- DescriptionBreaking new ground in the field of Sound Studies, this book provides an in-depth study of the culture and physicality of dancehall reggae music. The reggae sound system has exerted a major influence on music and popular culture. Every night, on the streets of inner city Kingston, Jamaica, Dancehall sessions stage a visceral, immersive and immensely pleasurable experience of sonic dominance for the participating crowd. Sonic Bodies concentrates on the skilled performance of the crewmembers responsible for this signature of Jamaican music: the audio engineers designing, building and fine-tuning the hugely powerful set of equipment; the selectors choosing the music tracks played; and, MCs (DJs) on the mic hyping up the crowd. Julian Henriques proposes that these dancehall vibes are taken literally as the periodic movement of vibrations, and offers an analysis of how a sound system operates - t only at auditory, but also at corporeal and sociocultural frequencies. Sonic Bodies formulates a fascinating auditory critique of visual dominance and the dualities inherent in ideas of image, text or discourse. This invative book questions the assumptions that reason resides only in the mind, that communication is an exchange of information and that meaning is only ever representation.
- Author BiographyJulian Henriques is senior lecturer in the Department of Media and Communications at Goldsmiths, University of London. He previously ran the Film and Television Department at CARIMAC, at the University of the West Indies in Kingston, Jamaica.
- Author(s)Julian Henriques
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication03/11/2011
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight748 g
- Width153 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.