All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book brings together a series of new and historical case studies to show how different phases of globalization are transforming the built environment. Taking a broad interdisciplinary approach, the author draws on sociological, geographical, cultural and postcolonial studies to provide a critical account of the development of three key concepts: global culture, post colonialism, and modernity. Subsequent case studies examine how global ecomic, political and cultural forces shape the forms of architectural and urban modernity in globalized suburbs and spaces in major cities worldwide. The first book to combine global and postcolonial theoretical approaches to the built environment and to illustrate these with examples, Spaces of Global Cultures argues for a more historical and interdisciplinary understanding of globalization: one that places material space and the built environment at the centre and calls for new theories to address new conditions.
- Author BiographyAnthony D. King is Bartle Professor of Art History and of Sociology, State University of New York at Binghamton. He has been Visiting Professor in Architecture, University of Califonia Berkeley and, for five years, Professor, Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
- Author(s)Anthony D. King
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/07/2004
- Series TitleArchitext
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSpon Press
- Content Note46 black & white illustrations, 14 black & white line drawings
- Weight521 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.89
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.