All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
About this product
- DescriptionThis new book traces the changing relationship between Russia and NATO through the prism of conventional arms control, focusing on the negotiation, implementation and adaptation of the Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE) Treaty. The author shows that arms control agreements reflect relations between parties and how the CFE Treaty codified parity between NATO and the Soviet-led Warsaw Treaty Organization (WTO) in November 1990. Although still widely viewed in the West as the cornerstone of security and stability in post-Cold War Europe, from the Russian perspective the treaty was soon overtaken by events. With the collapse of the WTO and the Soviet Union in 1991, it became impossible to talk of a military balance between East and West in Europe, especially as all the former WTO states opted for membership in NATO. This study details how the other state parties worked hard to adjust and adapt the treaty to meet Russian concerns about its new weakness relative to NATO, and the issues that complicated Russian acceptance of CFE limits. This book will be of great interest to all students of NATO, European politics, international relations and strategic studies in general.
- Author BiographyJane M.O.Sharp is a political scientist educated at the Universities of Nottingham, UK, and Geneva, Switzerland. She is currently Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Defence Studies, Kings College London. She was formerly a Senior Researcher and Project Leader at the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) and Director of the Defence and Security Programme at IPPR. She has also held research and teaching fellowships at Harvard and Cornell Universities in the United States. Her publications include: Europe After an American Withdrawal, OUP, 1990; About Turn: Forward March with Europe, Rivers Oram Press, 1997; and Honest Broker or Perfidious Albion? British Policy in Former Yugoslavia, IPPR, 1997; The Dayton Report card,^D> International Security, Winter 1997-1998.
- Author(s)Jane M. O. Sharp
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/12/2005
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleContemporary Security Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFrank Cass Publishers
- Content Note18 black & white tables
- Weight612 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.