All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSuetonius has often been used as if he were an historian, and at the same time criticised for t being one. This is a new translation of and commentary on Suetonius' biographies of three emperors, Galba, Otho, and Vitellius, who held power for short periods in the tumultuous and confused events that encompassed and followed the end of the Julio-Claudian period in AD 69. The introductory essays discuss Suetonius' purposes and qualities as a writer, and seek to elucidate the personalities and careers of the three emperors as well as the events of which they were a part. The importance of this study lies in the fact that it applies fresh understanding of these events to Suetonius' accounts, comparing them to the chief 'alternative' to be found in the works of Tacitus, Plutarch and Dio Cassius. The careers and reigns of the three emperors are discussed in the introduction, whilst the 'mir characters' involved in the events are treated, as relevant, in the commentary; this is constructed with the n-Latinist in mind, and the tes are appended to the translation rather than to the Latin text. Latin text with facing-page translation.
- Author BiographyDavid Shotter is Senior Lecturer in Ancient History at Lancaster University, and has published on aspects of the Early Principate, Roman Coinage and Roman Britain. He has also edited Tacitus Annals IV in the Aris PHIllips Classical Texts series.
- Author(s)David C. A. Shotter
- PublisherLiverpool University Press
- Date of Publication28/02/1993
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleAris & Phillips Classical Texts
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAris & Phillips Ltd
- Content Notep
- Width149 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.38Trending at AU $49.05
- AU $74.47Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $22.11Trending at AU $22.83
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.73
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $17.61Trending at AU $22.87
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.