All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThis book summarizes the main surface analysis techniques that are being used to study biological specimens/systems. The compilation of chapters in this book highlight the benefits that surface analysis provides. The outer layer of bulk solid or liquid samples is referred to as the surface of the sample/material. At the surface, the composition, microstructure, phase, chemical bonding, electronic states, and/or texture is often different than that of the bulk material. The outer surface is where many material interactions/reactions take place. This is especially true biomaterials which may be fabricated into bio-devices and in turn implanted into tissues and organs. Surfaces of biomaterials (synthetic or modified natural materials) are of critical importance since the surface is typically the only part of the biomaterial/bio-device that comes in contact with the biological system. Analytical techniques are required to characterize the surface of biomaterials and quantify their impact in real-world biological systems. Surface analysis of biological materials started in the 1960's and the number of researchers working in this area have increased very rapidly since then, a number of advances have been made to standard surface analytical instrumentation, and a number of new instruments have been introduced.
- Author BiographyVincent S. Smentkowski is a Senior Scientist in the Nanostructures and Surfaces Laboratory at General Electric Global Research (GEGR) where he performs surface analysis to support research programs at GEGR, GE businesses, and strategic partners. Currently, his research is focused on the applications of ToF-SIMS analysis, emphasizing how multivariate statistical analysis tools facilitate data reduction. Vin holds 6 U.S. patents, more than 85 publications in referred journals, greater than 100 GEGR internal manuscripts, has co-authored 3 book chapters, and has presented numerous contributed and invited talks. Vin is a Fellow of the American Vacuum Society.
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication19/03/2014
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note74 black & white illustrations, 83 colour illustrations, 7 black & white tables, biography
- Weight699 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byVincent S. Smentkowski
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.