All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIdeas in Profile: Small Introductions to Big Topics This introduction to the ancient world, part of the Ideas in Profile series, covers all its different cultures, from the million people crammed into Rome to the Jews and Syrians who refused to be Romanised. Jerry Toner shows what can be learnt from new approaches to ancient history, from analysing the bones of the dead in Pompeii or assessing the impact of environmental change, and considers how we can discover what it was like to live back then. He looks at every period, t just classical Athens and Republican Rome, but the Hellenistic kingdoms that followed Alexander and the Christian-dominated later Roman Empire. Greece and Rome, he argues, must be fitted into the global history of their day: what did Persians think of Greeks and how does the Roman empire stack up to China's? With vivid examples and animation from award-winning Cognitive at every stage, this is the ideal introduction to the ancient world for general readers and students.
- Author BiographyJerry Toner is Fellow and Director of Studies in Classics at Churchill College, Cambridge, the scholar behind Marcus Sidonius Falx's How to Manage your Slaves and author of Emperors and Crooks (Profile 2016).
- Author(s)Jerry Toner
- PublisherProfile Books Ltd
- Date of Publication27/08/2015
- SubjectAncient History
- Series TitleIdeas in Profile
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintProfile Books Ltd
- Content Note2 maps (in 2-colour) and 13 b/w illustrations.
- Weight192 g
- Width130 mm
- Height199 mm
- Spine45 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
- Edition StatementMain
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.