All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Best of Corwin series showcases key chapters from critically acclaimed Corwin publications for a powerful compilation of perspectives on important education issues and topics. Featuring the works of recognized pioneers in the nascent field of educational neuroscience, this cutting-edge collection shows how to apply current brain research to teaching and learning. The book is divided into three parts: The Developing Brain, The Brain in School, and Instructional Strategies for Every Brain. Chapter topics include: - Brain structures and development from birth through adolescence - What causes the brain to pay attention and remember - How the brain learns to read and calculate - Differences between the male and female brain - The social and academic needs of students with learning difficulties - Strategies for keeping students' brains engaged, focused, and energized Teachers are brain-changers, and kwing more about how the brain learns can only make you more successful at reaching and engaging young minds.
- Author BiographyDavid A. Sousa, EdD, an international consultant in educational neuroscience, has written 16 books for educators and parents on ways of using brain research to improve teaching and learning. He has conducted workshops for more than two hundred thousand educators in hundreds of school districts on brain research and science education at the pre-K to Grade 12 and university levels. He has presented at national conventions of educational organizations and to regional and local school districts across the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Asia. Dr. Sousa has a bachelor of science degree in chemistry from Bridgewater (Massachusetts) State University, a master of arts degree in teaching science from Harvard University, and a doctorate from Rutgers University. His teaching experience covers all levels. He has taught high school science and has served as a K-12 director of science, a supervisor of instruction, and a district superintendent in New Jersey schools. He has been an adjunct professor of education at Seton Hall University and at Rutgers University. A past president of the National Staff Development Council (now called Learning Forward), Dr. Sousa has edited science books and published numerous articles in leading educational journals on staff development, science education, and brain research. He has received awards from professional associations, school districts, and Bridgewater State University (Distinguished Alumni Award), and several honorary doctorates for his commitment and contributions to research, staff development, and science education. He has been interviewed on the NBC Today show and on National Public Radio about his work with schools using brain research. He makes his home in south Florida.
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication16/11/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleThe Best of Corwin
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCorwin Press Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width177 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byDavid A. Sousa
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.25
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $15.72
- AU $18.22Trending at AU $21.61
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.86
- AU $43.40Trending at AU $47.45
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $36.34
- AU $43.28Trending at AU $48.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.