All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
About this product
- DescriptionKey dimensions of Thomas Mann's writing and life are explored in this collection of specially commissioned essays. In addition to introductory chapters on all the main works of fiction, the essays and diaries, there are four chapters examining Mann's oeuvre in relation to major themes. These thematic explorations include his position as a realistic writer concerned with the history of his own times and as a commentator on German and American politics; his controversial reputation as an intellectual velist; the literary techniques that enabled his challenging fictions to appeal to a wide audience; and the homosexual subtext running through his fiction and diaries. A final chapter looks at the pitfalls of translating Mann into English. The essays are well supported by supplementary material including a chrology of the period and detailed guides to further reading. Altogether the volume provides an invaluable resource for scholars and students.
- Author BiographyRitchie Robertson is Professor of German at Oxford University and Fellow and Tutor of St John's College, Oxford. He is the author of Kafka: Judaism, Politics, and Literature (1985) and Heine (1988), which have also been published in German translation, and The 'Jewish Question' in German Literature, 1749-1939 (1999). He has also published numerous translations from German, including works by Heine and Hoffmann. He is an editor of The Modern Language Review.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication29/11/2001
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCambridge Companions to Literature
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Notechronology, further reading
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byRitchie Robertson
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.