All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.45
About this product
- DescriptionThe second volume in a trilogy of prayer manuals compiled by Publishers Weekly religion editor Phyllis Tickle as a contemporary Book of Hours to guide Christians gently yet authoritatively through the daily offices. The Divine Hours is the first major literary and liturgical reworking of the sixth-century Benedictine Rule of fixed-hour prayer. This beautifully conceived and thoroughly modern three-volume guide will appeal to the theological vice as well as to the ecclesiastical sophisticate. Making primary use of the Book of Common Prayer and the writings of the Church Fathers, The Divine Hours is also a companion to the New Jerusalem Bible, from which it draws its Scripture readings. The trilogy blends prayer and praise in a way that, while extraordinarily fresh, respects and builds upon the ancient wisdom of Christianity. The second book in the set, Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime, provides prayers, psalms, and readings for these two festive seasons. Compact, it is perfect for those seeking greater spiritual depth. As a contemporary Book of Hours, The Divine Hours: Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime heralds a renewal of the tradition of disciplined daily prayer, and gives those already using the first volume the continuity they are seeking. The series will culminate in a third volume for springtime, completing the liturgical and calendar year with the offices for every day.
- Author BiographyPhyllis Tickle, founding editor of the religion department of Publishers Weekly, is one of the most respected authorities and popular speakers on religion in America today. She is frequently quoted and interviewed both in print media, including the New York Times, Washington Post, Newsweek, and Time, and in electronic media, such as CNN, C-SPAN, BBC, and -Voice of America.- She appears frequently on the Odyssey Channel and is a regular guest on PBS's -Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly.- She is the author of over two dozen books, most recently Emergence Christianity: What It Is, Where It Is Going, and Why It Matters. She lives in the rural community of Lucy, Tennessee. Visit the Divine Hours website at www.thedivinehours.com. The Divine Hours is a trademark of Tickle, Inc.
- Author(s)Phyllis Tickle
- PublisherBantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc
- Date of Publication01/01/2006
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintImage Books
- Weight535 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine35 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.