All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.26
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.92Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the most historically significant, yet almost entirely undocumented, Native American tribes of California is brought to light by scholar Robert Fletcher Manlove. Until the Spanish colonization of California in 1769, the Chowchilla Yokuts were peaceful hunter-gatherers. Outraged by Spanish oppression, the Chowchilla quickly learned the arts of war. The Chowchilla united the tribes of the California interior and led successive resistance movements against Spanish, Mexican, and American occupation. However, the Chowchilla were driven from their land following the consolidation of American control of California, were forced to abandon their hunter-gatherer lifestyle, and sank into obscurity. The Chowchilla maintained their tribal identity by staying as out-of-sight as possible, sometimes t identifying themselves as Native American at all. In this first anthropological work, the history of the Chowchilla Yokuts from the earliest kwn origins to today is documented, with detailed information on Chowchilla kinship structure, social customs, and political development.
- Author BiographyRobert Fletcher Manlove, PhD, is a visiting scholar in anthropology at the University of California-Berkeley and dean emeritus of science and mathematics at City College of San Francisco. He lives in Berkeley, California.
- Author(s)Robert Fletcher Manlove
- PublisherCraven Street Books
- Date of Publication01/08/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCraven Street Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight181 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.