All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $5.99Trending at AU $8.24
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.51Trending at AU $47.12
About this product
- DescriptionJeffrey A. Kroessler's comprehensive and entertaining time line stretches from the pastoral entertainments of the Dutch to the corporate captivity of professional sports. He chronicles events ranging from the truly heroic to the heartbreaking, from moments of municipal greatness to inescapable social change. Through it all he plants the world of sport at the very center of New York's story. Fully illustrated, The Greater New York Sports Chrology covers the spectacle of blood sports like bullbaiting to the birth of baseball, the w-forgotten six-day pedestrian contests, and today's New York City Marathon. Alongside great moments like the Mets' amazin' World Series win in 1969, Joe Louis's historic bouts with Max Schmeling, Jackie Robinson's breaking of baseball's color line, and Secretariat's remarkable Triple Crown win at Belmont, we encounter the point-shaving scandals of college basketball and the corrupting influence of organized crime in professional boxing. Beyond immortals like Lou Gehrig and Joe Namath, we also find such once well kwn figures as Joe Lapchick, Marty Glickman, Gertrude Ederle, and Toots Shor. Year by year, this chrology recounts chess matches, America's Cup races, dog shows, golf tournaments, polo matches, tennis games, and more. Kroessler describes the historic venues, boxing arenas, gyms, stadiums, ballparks, and racetracks that have come and gone, yet made New York the undisputed capital of American sport. Witnessing it all, of course, are the greatest fans in the world.
- Author BiographyJeffrey A. Kroessler is an associate professor in the Lloyd Sealy Library at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. He is the author of New York, Year by Year: A Chronology of the Great Metropolis, which was named Best of Reference by the New York Public Library; Lighting the Way: A Centennial History of the Queens Borough Public Library; and Historic Preservation in Queens.
- Author(s)Bibek Debroy,Jeffrey A. Kroessler
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication30/10/2009
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Out-of-print date20/02/2010
- Content Note219 illus.
- Weight454 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.