All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- DescriptionThe story of the Hales family from Bandon epitomises the whole revolutionary period in Ireland. They were involved from the establishment of the Irish Volunteers in West Cork and were closely associated with well-kwn revolutionary figures, including Michael Collins, Tom Barry and Liam Deasy. Both Sean and Tom were company commanders in the IRA in the area. The signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty in December 1921 split the family and led to the two brothers taking opposing sides in the Civil War that would follow. Tom Hales was the most senior Republican officer on the scene of the chaotic ambush at Beal na mBlath that led to the shooting of Michael Collins. Sean Hales was himself assassinated in Dublin by Republicans, following a vote in Dail Eireann to allow the Provisional Government to increase its powers to penalise Republican prisoners.The story of these brothers and the rest of the family gives a unique insight into life in Ireland in this tumultuous period.
- Author BiographyLiz Gillis is the author of 'Women of the Irish Revolution', 'Revolution in Dublin' and 'The Fall of Dublin'. She has a degree in Irish History and works as a Curatorial Assistant in RTE. She has worked as a researcher on numerous publications, participated in many conferences focusing on the Irish revolution and has also developed a 'Revolutionary' walking tour of her native Liberties. Liz is co-organiser of the annual conference on the burning of the Custom House in 1921.
- Author(s)Liz Gillis
- PublisherThe Mercier Press Ltd
- Date of Publication08/07/2016
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationCork
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintThe Mercier Press Ltd
- Weight295 g
- Width135 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.