All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionPablo Neruda is one of the world's great poets, and Copper Canyon Press has long been dedicated to publishing translations of his work in bilingual editions.The Hands of Day--at long last translated into English in its entirety--prounces Neruda's desire to take part in the great human making of the day. Moved by the guilt of never having worked with his hands, Neruda opens with the despairing confession, Why did I t make a broom? / Why was I given hands at all? The themes of hands and work grow in significance as Neruda celebrates the carpenters, longshoremen, blacksmiths, and bakers--those laborers he admires most--and shares his exuberant adoration for the earth and the people upon it.Yes, I am guiltyof what I did t do, of what I did t sow, did t cut, did t measure, of never having rallied myself to populate lands, of having sustained myself in the desertsand of my voice speaking with the sand.Pablo Neruda (1904-1973) was a Chilean poet and diplomat who received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1971. Recognized during his life as a people's poet, he is considered one of the greatest artists of the twentieth century.William O'Daly is the best-selling translator of six of Pablo Neruda's books, including The Book of Questions and The Sea and the Bells. His work as a translator has been featured on The Today Show.
- Author BiographyPablo Neruda (1904-1973) held diplomatic posts in Asian and European countries. After joining the Communist Party, Neruda was elected to the Chilean Senate but was forced to live in exile in Mexico for several years. Eventually he established a permanent home on Isla Negra. In 1970 he was appointed as Chile's ambassador to France; in 1971 he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. William O'Daly has translated six books of Pablo Neruda's late and posthumous work, including the best-selling Book of Questions. His work as a translator has been featured on The Today Show.
- Author(s)Pablo Neruda
- PublisherCopper Canyon Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2008
- LanguageEnglish & English & Spanish
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCopper Canyon Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight254 g
- Width143 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Translated byWilliam O'Daly
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.