Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
About this product
- DescriptionWhat do soaring debt, endemic narcissism, road rage, political attack ads and killer drones share in common? All are symptoms of a society that moves, reflexively and relentlessly, to exploit the fastest, most efficient means to any end, without regard to cost. This is the 'impulse society' in which we live. In every facet of postindustrial society - the way we eat, the way we communicate and entertain, the way we work, the way we court lovers and raise children, educate and govern - techlogy and affluence has let us reach our goals with a speed and efficiency unimaginable even a generation ago. But the result is t all milk, honey, and gold. Companies w reflexively maximise short-term gain at the expense of long-term success. Politicians resort with ever-greater speed to nasty campaign tactics, and can count on their damaging claims to spread before the facts catch up with them. Consumers engage in serial over-indulgence and pursue instant gratification of every whim with speed and greed. The costs of living this way are substantial: financial volatility, health epidemics, environmental exhaustion and political paralysis, to say thing of a growing, gnawing dissatisfaction. In this epoch-defining book, Paul Roberts traces the roots of this problem, damningly revealing how it has permeated society, and cogently argues how it may, perhaps, still be reversed.
- Author BiographyPaul Roberts is the author of The End of Oil and The End of Food. As a journalist, he has written for The Los Angeles Times, the Washington Post, and the Guardian, and his work has appeared in Slate, The New Republic, Newsweek, Rolling Stone, and elsewhere. Roberts also appears regularly on TV and radio. He lives in Washington State, USA.
- Author(s)Paul Roberts
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication28/08/2014
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Out-of-print date14/07/2016
- Weight618 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.