All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $54.47Trending at AU $58.01
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $169.35
- AU $73.74Trending at AU $86.48
- AU $57.00Trending at AU $69.86
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.24
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.45
- AU $12.91Trending at AU $16.90
About this product
- DescriptionTHIS DETECTIVE STORY CLUB CLASSIC is introduced by Dr John Curran, who looks at how Anna Katherine Green was a pioneer who inspired a new generation of crime writers, in particular a young woman named Agatha Christie. When the retired merchant Horatio Leavenworth is found shot dead in his mansion library, suspicion falls on his nieces, Mary and Eleare, who stand to inherit his vast fortune. Their lawyer, Everett Raymond, infatuated with one of the sisters, is determined that the official investigator, detective Ebenezer Gryce, widens the inquiry to less obvious suspects. The Leavenworth Case, the first detective vel written by a woman, immortalised its author Anna Katharine Green as 'The Mother of Detective Fiction'. Admired for her careful plotting and legal accuracy, the book enjoyed ermous success both in England and America, and was widely translated. It was republished by The Detective Story Club after Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin, speaking at the 1928 Thanksgiving Day dinner of the American Society in London, remarked: 'An American woman, a successor of Poe, Anna K. Green, gave us The Leavenworth Case, which I still think one of the best detective stories ever written.'
- Author BiographyAnna K. Green (1846-1935) was born in Brooklyn, New York and was often referred to as 'The Mother of Detective Fiction' after the publication of The Leavenworth Case, her first and most successful novel. The daughter of a lawyer, Green attended Ripley Female College in Vermont. Her work inspired a new generation of crime writers, in particular a young woman called Agatha Christie.
- Author(s)Anna Katharine Green
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication11/08/2016
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitleThe Detective Club
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCollins Crime Club
- Weight380 g
- Width126 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Introduction byJohn Curran
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.