All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.52Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
About this product
- DescriptionThe most important characteristic of the world filled with nlinearity is the existence of scale interference: disparate space-time scales interfere with each other. Thus, the effects of unkwable scales invade the world that we can observe directly. This leads to various peculiar phemena such as chaos, critical phemena, and complex biological phemena, among others. Conceptual analysis and phemelogy are the keys to describe and understand phemena that are subject to scale interference, because precise description of unfamiliar phemena requires precise concepts and their phemelogical description. The book starts with an illustration of conceptual analysis in terms of chaos and randomness, and goes on to explain rermalization group philosophy as an approach to phemelogy. Then, abduction is outlined as a way to express what we have understood about the world. The book concludes with discussions on how we can approach genuinely complex phemena, including biological phemena. The main target of this volume is young people who have just started to appreciate the world seriously. The author also wishes the book to be helpful to those who have been observing the world, but who wish to appreciate it afresh from a different angle.
- Author BiographyProfessor Oono received his Dr.Eng. in applied chemistry from Kyushu University in Japan in 1976. After serving as an assistant professor in the Research Institute of Industrial Science at Kyushu University, he joined the physics faculty at the University of Illinois in 1981.
- Author(s)Yoshitsugu Oono
- PublisherSpringer Verlag, Japan
- Date of Publication30/10/2012
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Series TitleSpringer Series in Synergetics
- Series Part/Volume Number10
- Place of PublicationTokyo
- Country of PublicationJapan
- ImprintSpringer Verlag, Japan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight615 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
- Edition Statement2012
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.