The Obamas: The Untold Story of an African Family by Peter Firstbrook (Hardback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $7.48+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.89
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.36
About this product
- DescriptionPeter Firstbrook spent many months in Kenya researching the history of Barack Obama's family. Peter is the only person to have traced Obama's roots from the present back through more than twenty generations, thanks to the Luo tribe's remarkable oral tradition. Seen though the eyes of the Obama family this will be the story of an African dynasty going back over 400 years. It is a truly astonishing drama culminating in the inauguration of Barack Obama on 20 January 2009, watched by Obama's African family on a flickering television clustered under a group of trees in the twilight of Kobama village in Kenya. A very special hundred or so men, women and children amongst billions all around the world who viewed the momentous event of the swearing in of the first black President of the United States. This book establishes the early ancestry of the Obama family in the Alego region, telling the story of farmers and fishermen, of love and tribal warfare, of families lost and found. It traces the Obama roots from famous tribal warriors in the seventeenth century to the first encounters with the white man in the early 1900s; generation by generation we follow the family through colonial rule and the fight for Kenyan independence, including the Mau Mau and the relationship of Barack Obama's father with President Kenyatta. This is a book about a family whose destiny is unkwn to them. It is a true testament to the belief that any person can make their mark in the world matter how humble their origins.
- Author BiographyPeter Firstbrook worked for the BBC for twenty-five years before developing a successful freelance writing and filmmaking career in 2002. He specialises in making historical and international documentaries. He has published three bestselling books.
- Author(s)Peter Firstbrook
- Date of Publication01/07/2010
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPreface Publishing
- Out-of-print date16/11/2016
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight592 g
- Width162 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine32 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.