Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.88
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.15
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.66
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.21
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.08
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.20
- AU $30.32Trending at AU $31.91
About this product
- DescriptionManwoo Lee offers his readers a rare opportunity to closely observe Korean political leaders as they follow the chaotic, frequently violent, and twisted road to democracy. This is an eyewitness account of the Korean odyssey; of Korea's three famous Kims and Roh Tae-woo; of the dramatic political events leading to the presidential election in December, 1987; of the parliamentary elections in April, 1988, and of the formation of a super-ruling party in 1990. Manwoo Lee's readers benefit from his presence in the office of one of the presidential candidates and from his conversations with leaders directly responsible for the fate of Korean democracy. His thesis: South Korea's political instability is primarily the result of an imbalance between the country's social and political development compounded by its undemocratic political culture. The Odyssey of Korean Democracy covers the period from December 1986 to January 1990. Chapter 1 provides a broad introduction that includes a discussion of the major contradictions in Korean politics and society. Chapter 2 explains the emergence of the two Kims, their confrontations with the ruling party, and their rough road to compromise. Chapters 3 and 4 deal with regional problems, the presidential campaigns, and the emergence of Roh Tae-woo. The last three chapters focus on post-presidential politics: the demoralized opposition parties; voting frenzy in the spring general elections; and how Roh and the three Kims run Korea's new, very fragile democracy. Understanding what happened in Korean politics since 1987 is a prerequisite to understanding the breakdown of Korea's repressive authoritarian system.
- Author BiographyMANWOO LEE is Chairman of the Political Science Department at Millersville University in Pennsylvania and co-founder of the The Journal of Developing Areas. He is author of Alliance Under Tension: The Evolution of South Korean--U.S. Relations.
- Author(s)Manwoo Lee
- Date of Publication25/09/1990
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight441 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.