All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionWhat's the singular of paparazzi? Is graffiti singular or plural? What about kudos? Should I say empathic or empathetic? Is it a couple of dozen or a couple dozen? What's the correct pronunciation of concierge? Or schism? Or flaccid? In this book of crisp, precise, and often witty prouncements on modern American English, Bryan Garner decisively answers these and thousands of other questions that bedevil those who care about the language. Garner draws on massive evidence to support his judgments, citing thousands of examples--good, bad, and ugly--from sources such as <em>The New York Times</em>, <em>The Wall Street Journal</em>, and <em>Newsweek</em>. No one can browse through the book without sharing the authors spirited awareness of how words work and his relish for exposing the affectations that bloat our language. And even if you don't have the time for browsing, but simply want a quick answer to an editorial riddle, this book is your best bet.
- Author Biography<strong>Bryan A. Garner</strong>, a noted lawyer and lexicographer, has written extensively on the English language and the language of law. His earlier books include <em>A Dictionary of Modern Legal Usage</em>, <em>The Elements of Legal Style</em>, and <em>The Winning Brief</em>. He is Editor-in-Chief of <em>Black's Law Dictionary</em> and President of LawProse, Inc., a Dallas-based company that provides continuing-legal-education seminars to lawyers nationwide.
- Author(s)Bryan A. Garner
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication27/01/2000
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight442 g
- Width138 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.