All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionWith global demand for energy poised to increase by more than half in the next three decades, the supply of safe, reliable, and reasonably priced gas and oil will continue to be of fundamental importance to modern ecomies. Central to this supply are the pipelines that transport this energy. And while the fundamental ecomics of the major pipeline networks are the same, the differences in their ownership, commercial development, and operation can provide insight into the workings of market institutions in various nations. Drawing on a century of the world's experience with gas and oil pipelines, this book illustrates the importance of ecomics in explaining the evolution of pipeline politics in various countries. It demonstrates that institutional differences influence ownership and regulation, while rents and consumer pricing depend on the size and diversity of existing markets, the depth of regulatory institutions, and the historical structure of the pipeline businesses themselves. The history of pipelines is also rife with social conflict, and Jeff D. Makholm explains how and when institutions in a variety of countries have controlled pipeline behavior - either through ecomic regulation or government ownership - in the public interest.
- Author BiographyJeff D. Makholm is an economist with National Economic Research Associates, an international firm providing economic analysis to corporations, governments, regulatory agencies, and special interest groups. He is the author of The Distribution and Pricing of Sichuan Natural Gas.
- Author(s)Jeff D. Makholm
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication11/05/2012
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note3 halftones, 5 line drawings
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.36Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $74.12Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $35.48Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.