Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $50.46Trending at AU $57.09
About this product
- DescriptionThis illuminating, entertaining, and timely volume examines the place and impact of public intellectuals in our rapidly changing and diverse society. Boasting an all-star cast of contributors -- including some of Canada's most prominent writers, journalists, and academics -- it probes the role of public discourse and intellectual persuasion in shaping Canada's past, present, and future.The Public Intellectual in Canada examines how individuals have come to assume this role, how they are received by various publics, and what they have been able to accomplish. The pieces cover topics ranging from the potential and perils of advocacy to the influence of think tanks on public policy. Many pieces also delve into the roles of pollsters, political actors, pundits, social activists, ecomists, and ethicists, among others.Broad in scope and stylistically diverse, these essays offer a fascinating overview of the links between thought, public exposition, and action in the fields of politics, science, and culture.
- Author BiographyNelson Wiseman is an associate professor in the Department of Political Science at the University of Toronto. A columnist for The Hill Times, he is also the author of the CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title In Search of Canadian Political Culture.
- Author(s)Nelson Wiseman
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication14/08/2013
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Weight400 g
- Width153 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.