All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.46
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $57.00
About this product
- DescriptionSmuggled out of Naples in his youth after stabbing a brutal night-watchman to death, Antonio Barraca returned home in the 1960s as a wealthy man. He used his newfound status to quash his murder conviction, and was soon feared but respected throughout the city. Don Antonio has made it his life's work to bring rough justice to the criminals of Naples who otherwise have fear of the law. He rules the city's underbelly with a rod of iron. The play begins when a respectable but poor young man who has resolved to murder his father comes to Don Antonio for advice. The Neapolitan 'Godfather' emerges from the shadows to make the young man's father an offer he can't refuse. The comedy grows blacker as 'respectable' Naples collides with its criminal underworld. A dark comedy of pathos and farce by one of Italy's pre-eminent dramatists of the twentieth century, Eduardo De Filippo's The Syndicate (Il sindaco del rione Sanita) is made newly accessible and contemporary by this translation by Mike Poulton.
- Author BiographyEduardo de Filippo (1900-1984) was a Neapolitan actor, playwright, screenwriter, author and poet. His best known works include Napoli Milionaria, Filumena and Saturday, Sunday and Monday. He is regarded as one of Italy's greatest dramatists. Mike Poulton has had a number of highly successful versions of classic works of drama and literaure produced, including Turgenev's Fortune's Fool (which won a Tony in New York), Schiller's Don Carlos, Ibsen's Romersholm and a stage version of Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales.
- Author(s)Eduardo de Filippo
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication20/07/2011
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleModern Plays
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMethuen Drama
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight101 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Translated byMike Poulton
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.