All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.55
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.81
About this product
- DescriptionAt the airport we line up, remove our shoes, empty our pockets, and hold still for three seconds in the body scanner. Deemed safe, we put ourselves back together and are free to buy the beverage we were prohibited from taking through security. In The Transparent Traveler Rachel Hall explains how the familiar routines of airport security choreograph passenger behavior to create submissive and docile travelers. The cultural performance of contemporary security practices mobilizes what Hall calls the aesthetics of transparency. To appear transparent, a passenger must perform incence and display a willingness to open their body to routine inspection and analysis. Those who cant-whether because of race, immigration and citizenship status, disability, age, or religion-are deemed opaque, presumed to be a threat, and subject to search and detention. Analyzing everything from airport architecture, photography, and computer-generated imagery to full-body scanners and TSA behavior detection techniques, Hall theorizes the transparent traveler as the embodiment of a cultural ideal of submission to surveillance.
- Author BiographyRachel Hall is Associate Professor of Communication Studies at Louisiana State University, and the author of Wanted: The Outlaw in American Visual Culture.
- Author(s)Rachel Hall
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication25/09/2015
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Content Note37 illustrations
- Weight477 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.