All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the foremost Brazilian velist of the twentieth century- an exotic tale of greed, madness, and seduction set in Brazil's lush, cocoa-growing forests. Two powerful families scheme to control Brazil's cocoa bounty in this epic vel that does for Brazil's cocoa rush what Upton Sinclair's Oil! does for the early days of California oil prospecting. With its cast of assassins, gamblers, opportunists, and beautiful women, The Violent Land is an unbridled adventure vel set among the power dealers of Brazil's most profitable and coveted natural resources. 'Passionate and supremely moving . . . A big, brawling vel . . . Everything in it is on a heroic scale.' The New York Times 'No other of my books is as dear to me; in it lie my roots; it is of the blood from which I was created.' Jorge Amado, from the Foreword
- Author BiographyJorge Amado was one of the greatest Brazilian writers of the twentieth century. His twenty-one novels are distinguished by a passionate concern for social justice and a tender but exuberant vision of the comedy of life. They have been translated into forty-six languages and published in sixty countries. He died in August 2001, aged 88.
- Author(s)Jorge Amado
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication25/06/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintPenguin USA
- Weight254 g
- Width128 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementRevised ed.
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $14.24Trending at AU $14.43
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $13.80
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $14.94Trending at AU $19.85
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.23Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.