All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'This has survived as a South African classic t just because it's beautifully written,' wrote Anthony Sampson in the Spectator , 'but because it conveys the combination of ordinariness and danger which is implicit in any totalitarian state.' The World that was Ours is about the events leading up to the 1964 Rivonia Trial when Hilda Bernstein's husband was acquitted but Mandela and the 'men of Rivonia' received life sentences. 'This passionately political memoir,' observed The Times , 'is vibrant with the dilemmas of everyday family life, quick-witted dialogue, fast-paced adventure and velistic detail.' Yet the political background is t dwelt on: it is simply taken for granted that civilised South Africans fought apartheid and the uncivilised propped it up. The main strength of the book is as an outstanding personal memoir; in this respect it bears comparison with autobiographies by Nadezhda Mandelstam and Christabel Bielenberg.
- Author(s)Hilda Bernstein
- PublisherPersephone Books Ltd
- Date of Publication22/06/2004
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPersephone Books Ltd
- Width139 mm
- Height194 mm
- Spine32 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $71.74
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.89
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.83
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.55
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.04
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.67
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.