All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionToday, small populations of timber rattlesnakes (Crotalus horridus) quietly inhabit parts of Rutland County in Vermont, and Warren,Washington, and Essex counties in New York. Because the species is endangered, the exact locations of established dens in this area are a closely guarded secret. Insider, naturalist, and author Jon Furman has devoted years to the study of the snake's past and present range, its habitat and biology, the period in Vermont and upstate New York history during which timber rattlesnakes were ruthlessly hunted for a bounty, and the outlook for this severely threatened species in both states. Soundly anchored in the latest scientific data, Furman proffers an accessible and engaging account of contemporary fieldwork and first-person interviews with herpetologists and old-time bounty hunters. For expert and lay readers interested in snakes and reptiles, rtheastern fauna and natural history, conservation, and endangered species, this volume clearly explicates the timber rattlesnake's biology as well as what happens and what to do when one bites. It also explores the troubling decline of the rtheastern population caused by bounty hunting between the 1890s and the early 1970s, other past and present threats to the species' survival, and what measures are being taken-and additional ones that must be taken-to ensure that timber rattlesnakes survive and thrive in the rtheast. Historical and contemporary illustrations bring these reptiles and their world to life. Timber Rattlesnakes in Vermont& New York shines a new light on a maligned and misunderstood species.
- Author BiographyJON FURMAN is an accomplished amateur naturalist and writer who studies timber rattlesnakes in the northeast.
- Author(s)Jon Furman
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication01/12/2007
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of New England
- Content Note12 illus. 8 ht
- Weight395 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.