Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionPerhaps other industrial techlogy changed thecourse of Mexican history in the United States andMexico as much as the arrival of the railroads. Tensof thousands of Mexicans worked for the railroadsin the United States, especially in the Southwest andMidwest. Extensive Mexican American settlementsappeared throughout the lower and upper Midwestas the result of the railroad. Jeffrey Marcos Garcilazoprovides the first and only comprehensive history ofMexican railroad workers across the United States. Traqueros is the first large-scale investigation ofthe substance and breadth of traqueros' experiencesat work and in their 'boxcar' communities...[Garcilazo's] years of dedicated research haveyielded an intimate yet comprehensive portraitof Mexican immigrant track men and theircommunities. -Journal of American History Garcilazo has made a powerful contribution tothe historiography of the railroads as well as thehistory of Mexican workers in the United States...[I]t is refreshing at a time when analyses of therise of big business and railroads operate at a levelof abstraction that has left the picks and shovels ofcommon laborers barely discernible. Traqueros arean invisible labor force longer. -H-SHGAPE,H-Net Review
- Author BiographyJeffrey Marcos GarcIlazo received hisdoctorate from the University of California at SantaBarbara and was assistant professor at the University ofCalifornia, Irvine, USA before his untimely death in 2001. Vicki L. Ruiz is professor of history and Chicano/Latino studies at the University of California, Irvine, USA.
- Author(s)Jeffrey Marcos Garcilazo
- PublisherUniversity of North Texas Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication30/12/2015
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleAl Filo: Mexican American Studies Series
- Place of PublicationDenton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of North Texas Press,U.S.
- Weight340 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Foreword byVicki L. Ruiz
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.