All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionThis marks the 100th volume to appear in the Applied Mathematical Sci- ences series. Partial Differential Equations, by Fritz John, the first volume of the series, appeared in 1971. One year prior to its appearance, the then mathematics editor of Springer-Verlag, Klaus Peters, organized a meeting to look into the possibility of starting a series slanted toward applications. The meeting took place in New Rochelle, at the home of Fritz and Char- lotte John. K.O. Friedrichs, Peter Lax, Monroe Donsker, Joe Keller, and others from the Courant Institute (previously, the Institute for Mathemat- ical Sciences) were present as were Joe LaSalle and myself, the two of us having traveled down from Providence for the meeting. The John home, a large, comfortable house, especially lent itself to the informal, relaxed, and wide-ranging discussion that ensued. What emerged was a consensus that mathematical applications appeared to be poised for a period of growth and that there was a clear need for a series committed to applied mathematics. The first paragraph ofthe editorial statement written at that time reads as follows: The mathematization of all sciences, the fading of traditional scientific boundaries, the impact of computer techlogy, the growing importance of mathematical-computer modeling and the necessity of scientific planning all create the need both in education and research for books that are introductory to and abreast of these developments.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication23/10/2012
- Series TitleApplied Mathematical Sciences
- Series Part/Volume Number100
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight539 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byLawrence Sirovich
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1994
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.