All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn authoritative and gorgeously illustrated survey of Victorian jewelry that focuses on secondary jewelry, characterized by bold, playful, romantic and modern designs. The many styles of Victorian jewelry presented in this volume are selected from the best collections in the United States and abroad, and shown here in specially commissioned, exclusive color photographs. The photographs showcase the glorious color and style of the rich variety of materials, including Scottish Agate, malachite, and granite, the amazingly modern niello, and the stark black beauty of Whitby jet. For more than half a century, during the reign of Queen Victoria, England and Europe produced some of the most delightful flights of fancy that jewelry has ever taken. Long igred because of the intrinsic worthlessness of its various materials, today these pieces are increasingly prized for their beauty and workmanship. Surprisingly, this period in jewelry--making did t follow the fussy, overly ornate style that characterized the Victorian era, but rather promoted bold, playful, romantic and modern styles. Some of the most unusual pieces were constructed with materials including hair, lava, coal iron, and aluminum. The text gives authoritative and fascinating historical context to the uses of these materials and designs. Many of the most sought-after pieces are made of silver, and popular designs include stars, anchors, hearts, bows and outstretched hands.
- Author BiographyGinny Reddington Dawes, formerly a singer with a rock and roll band, is an accomplished songwriter and the composer of many well--known advertising jingles. Corinne Alster Davidov is a painter whose works have been widely exhibited, here and abroad. Both authors are avid collectors of Victorian jewelry, and private dealers tuned into up--and--coming trends in collectibles. This is their second collaboration; their first was The Bakelite Jewelry Book, from Abbeville Press.
- Author(s)Corinne Davidof,Ginny Redington Dawes
- PublisherAbbeville Press Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication25/11/2005
- SubjectHandicrafts, Arts & Crafts
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAbbeville Press Inc.,U.S.
- Content Note150 colour illustrations
- Weight794 g
- Width267 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Photographs byTom Dawes
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $44.08Trending at AU $51.53
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $21.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.