All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $59.39Trending at AU $61.38
About this product
- DescriptionWalter Benjamin (1892-1940) was the quintessential European intellectual between the two world wars. Historian, philosopher, literary critic, student of language and culture, and journalist, the independent scholar was forever trying to define himself and his time as products of a tradition in crisis.In a very real sense, Benjamin's life and work were one-a chronicle of the modern European intellectual and mirror of an era. Bernd Witte's interpretive biography introduces Benjamin through critical thought and through topics and authors that ignited Benjamin's work. For the first time, English readers have the opportunity to survey the facts surrounding Benjamin's life and assess the interpretations of his texts. Witte's quest for Benjamin's own perspective yields a full chrology and sympathetic mastery of Benjamin's ideas. The German edition, titled Walter Benjamin: Einfiihrung in Leben und Werk, was published in 1985.
- Author BiographyBernard Witte is a professor in the Department of German Languages and Literature at Heinrich Heine University in Germany. He is the author of various books on modern German literature and literary theory, and is the editor of the collected works of Christian F?rchtegott Gellert.Translator James Rolleston is a professor of German and literature and chair of the Department of German Languages and Litearture at Duke University.
- Author(s)Bernd Witte
- PublisherWayne State University Press
- Date of Publication01/06/1997
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Series TitleKritik: German Literary Theory and Cultural Studies Series
- Place of PublicationDetroit, MI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWayne State University Press
- Content Note67 b&w illustrations
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Translated byJames Rolleston
- Edition Statement2nd ed.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.