All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionA sequel to the award-winning Buffalo Dance , Frank X Walker's When Winter Come: The Ascension of York is a dramatic reimagining of Lewis and Clark's legendary exploration of the American West. Grounded in the history of the famous trip, Walker's vibrant account allows York - little more than a forgotten footte in traditional narratives - to embody the full range of human ability, kwledge, emotion, and experience. Kwledge of the seasons unfolds to York like a book, and he can read moss, sunsets, the moon, and a mare's foaling time with a touch. During the journey, York forges a spiritual connection and shares sensual delights with a Nez Perce woman, and Walker's poems capture the profound feelings of love and loss on each side of this ill-fated meeting of souls. As the perspectives of Lewis, Clark, Sacagawea, and others in the party emerge, Walker also gives voice to York's knife, his hunting shirt, and the river waters that have borne thousands of travelers before and after the Lewis and Clark expedition.The alternately heartbreaking and uplifting poems in When Winter Come are told from multiple perspectives and rendered in vivid detail. When Winter Come exalts the historical persona of a slave and lifts the soul of a man; York ascends out of his chains, out of oblivion, and into flight.
- Author BiographyFrank X Walker is the author of Black Box, Buffalo Dance: The Journey of York, and Affrilachia. The recipient of a 2005 Lannan Literary Fellowship, the Lillian Smith Book Award, and the Thomas D. Clark Award for Literary Excellence, Walker is Writer-in-Residence at Northern Kentucky University.
- Author(s)Frank X. Walker
- PublisherThe University Press of Kentucky
- Date of Publication15/03/2008
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLexington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University Press of Kentucky
- Weight181 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.