Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $28.59Trending at AU $31.02
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.52Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
About this product
- DescriptionThis comprehensive, up-to-date work examines the political status of women in the world's governments and challenges the view that women in the United States and other countries are breaking through traditional barriers to achieve unprecedented political power. It is based upon a study funded by the Ford Foundation and directed by Bella Abzug and Mim Kelber. Using interviews with female political leaders and data from the Inter-Parliamentary Union, the United Nations, and other sources, the study tes that although women have made great progress in some areas, in the majority of male-led governments the environment remains either indifferent or hostile to sharing power with women. The book describes the historical and ideological basis for women's exclusion from leadership, the official and ufficial efforts being made to overcome this disparity, the diverse experiences of women in developing and industrialized nations seeking entry to male political strongholds, and the particular problems they face in electoral or appointive office.
- Author BiographyMIM KELBER, writer, editor, and feminist, has been a lifelong activist on behalf of women's rights. She served as policy adviser and speechwriter for Congresswoman Bella Abzug and as policy director for President Carter's National Advisory Committee for Women. She is a co-founder with Bella Abzug of Women USA Fund, Inc. and currently serves as editorial director of the Fund's Women's Environment and Development Organization in New York City. She coauthored Gender Gap: Bella Abzug's Guide to Political Power for Women (1984).
- Date of Publication29/09/1994
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight356 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byMim Kelber
- Introduction byBella Abzug,Mim Kelber
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.