All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.29
About this product
- DescriptionIn <em>Wonder and Exile in the New World,</em> Alex Nava explores the border regions between wonder and exile, particularly in relation to the New World. It traces the preoccupation with the concept of wonder in the history of the Americas, beginning with the first European encounters, goes on to investigate later representations in the Baroque age, and ultimately enters the twentieth century with the emergence of so-called magical realism. In telling the story of wonder in the New World, Nava gives special attention to the part it played in the history of violence and exile, either as a force that supported and reinforced the Conquest or as a voice of resistance and decolonisation.<br><br>Focusing on the work of New World explorers, writers, and poets--and their literary descendants--Nava finds that wonder and exile have been two of the most significant metaphors within Latin American cultural, literary, and religious representations. Beginning with the period of the Conquest, especially with Cabeza de Vaca and Las Casas, continuing through the Baroque with Cervantes and Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, and moving into the twentieth century with Alejo Carpentier and Miguel Angel Asturias, Nava produces a historical study of Latin American narrative in which religious and theological perspectives figure prominently.
- Author Biography<strong>Alex Nava</strong> is Associate Professor of Religious Studies at the University of Arizona.
- Author(s)Alex Nava
- PublisherPennsylvania State University Press
- Date of Publication21/06/2013
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPennsylvania State University Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight542 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.