If the returned item is missing any parts, or is damaged in transit because it wasn't packaged correctly when the buyer sent it back, the seller can deduct the amount of loss and give the buyer only a partial refund.
Read our full policy below for more details and specific requirements by listing category.
Frequently Asked Questions
I bought an item of clothing and removed the tags, then decided it's too small. Can I still return it and receive a full refund?
You can return the item, but as it's no longer in the exact same condition as when you received it, the seller is entitled to deduct some portion of the refund to cover loss of value.
I sent an item back to the seller, but it got damaged in transit. Can I still get a full refund?
If the item was damaged due to it being insufficiently packed and protected, then the seller is entitled to deduct a portion of the refund for loss of value.
I returned an item immediately after receiving it and I didn't alter it in any way. The seller is claiming that it's not in the same condition as when it was sent to me. What should I do?
You can ask us to step in and help. Please see the eBay Money Back Guarantee policy for more information.
Condition of returns policy overview
Items must be returned in the same condition in which they were received. Buyers may be liable for loss in value of the item if it's returned in a different condition, or if the item is not packaged securely to prevent damage in shipment. In the event that an item is not returned to the seller in the same condition, the seller may deduct the amount of loss and give the buyer a partial refund.
What are the guidelines?
Returned items that do not meet the below criteria may be subject to less than a full refund of the item's value. To be eligible for a return the exact item you purchased must be returned.
General return requirements
Item(s) must be in the exact condition they were received:
- Unused, unaltered, with no damage or signs of use outside of the listed item condition or how it was received
- All parts must be intact
- Must be returned with original product packaging: boxes, UPCs, bags or any items used to wrap and protect the item
- Must include all items that were included in the original package, such as cords, cables, remote controls, manuals, warranty and rebate cards, free gifts or bonus items
- Items must have original tags, labels and/or any accompanying materials that were originally included
Art & Collectables
- Must include any provided certificates of authenticity, grading or appraisal
- Items must not be removed from sealed packaging
- Items cannot appear worn, washed or used
- Original tags must be attached to the item
- Sanitary lining cannot be removed from an undergarment
- Item cannot be altered in any way
- Item cannot be stained (dirt, makeup, food, etc.)
- Health & Beauty products must be unused and in original, unopened, undamaged and resalable condition
Electronics & Home Appliances
- Factory seal must not be broken/opened
Liquor & Food
- Item must be unopened
- Item must be within its use by or best before date
- Item packaging must be in original condition with no damage. For example, no dented cans or damaged labels
- All items are returned (e.g. if item forms part of a carton, it must be returned as a full carton)
Home & Garden
- Bedding items should be unopened and unused
- Vacuum sealed products, if opened, don't qualify for return
- To be returned in original packaging
- Item should be drained of any fuel or liquid
- If assembled, item should be dismantled before return
Why does eBay have this policy?
Standardised category return guidelines create a more consistent experience for both buying and selling by eliminating the uncertainty of what's acceptable to return and what isn't.