Sellers must specify the payment methods they accept in their listings, so it's clear to buyers how to pay. In most categories, sellers have to accept PayPal, which allows buyers to pay with their PayPal account, with a credit or debit card, or with an eBay gift card or voucher. eBay Money Back Guarantee only applies to items paid via PayPal.
We are discontinuing the option for sellers to add their internet merchant credit card and payment gateway details to their listings. Buyers can still pay you with a credit card when you accept PayPal, or you may accept credit cards on pickup.
From 31 January 2019, you can't create new listings with internet merchant credit card as a payment option. From 31 March 2019, any existing Good 'Til Cancelled listings with this payment option will no longer be renewed.
Frequently Asked Questions
I often have buyers pick up items from my store. Can they pay in cash?
Yes, payment in cash is allowed for payment on pickup or cash on delivery sales. However, cash isn't a generally accepted payment method on eBay, and cash payments can never be sent through the post.
I'm selling my car, and want to be paid by a bank cheque. Do I have to accept PayPal too?
No, in some categories, including most Motors categories, real estate, services and businesses for sale, you don't have to have to accept PayPal. You can accept methods such as bank-to-bank transfer, bank or personal cheques.
Read our full policy
Accepted payments policy overview
Our accepted payments policy gives buyers and sellers on eBay convenient payment options. To help ensure a safe marketplace, as a seller you can only use our approved payment methods. You also must state in your listing which specific payment methods you accept. If you accept a payment method, don't place limitations on what forms of it you accept.
Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?Allowed
PayPal is considered a safer electronic payment method and allows buyers to pay with their PayPal account, a credit card, a Visa or Mastercard debit card, or an eBay gift card or voucher. In most categories on eBay.com.au, sellers are required to offer PayPal, and only items paid for using PayPal are eligible for eBay Money Back Guarantee.
In addition to PayPal, sellers may also offer one or more of the following payment choices:
- Payment upon pickup (including Eftpos or cash)
If you offer payment on pickup, you may include this statement in your listing: "Contact me for payment methods to pay on pickup."
- Bank-to-bank transfer (including by internet banking)
- Cash on delivery
- Bank cheques and personal cheques
- Money orders
Although they may choose to do so, sellers are not required to offer PayPal for listings in any of the following categories on eBay.com.au:
- Trucks (commercials)
- Real Estate
- Businesses for sale
- Sending cash through the mail
- Sending cash or money orders through instant, point-to-point cash transfer services (that are not banks) such as Western Union or MoneyGram
- Paying by "topping off" a seller's prepaid credit or debit card
- Asking buyers to contact you for additional payment methods, or including misleading or unclear payment information
- Offering a payment method to some buyers and not to others
- Discouraging buyers from using any payment method the seller specified in the listing (see also our Payment surcharges policy)
- Discouraging buyers from using eBay's accepted payment methods
- Asking buyers to pay using a method not mentioned in the listing
- Paying with virtual or crypto-currencies
- Placing limitations on payment methods you accept. For example: "I accept PayPal but do not accept credit card payments through PayPal" or "I only accept PayPal if the bid amount is greater than $15".
These rules apply to all transaction-related correspondence between a seller and buyer as well as the listings.
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy helps to create a successful shopping and selling experience by encouraging online payment methods that are safe, easy to use and offer strong protections for members.