However, including a bonus item in your listing – for example, selling an iPhone, and including a free phone cover – is allowed as long as it meets our selling requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
I’ve seen eBay running contests and giveaways, can I?
Sometimes, we, or our approved partners, will run contests or giveaways on eBay that follow all applicable laws. However, seller listings and products that promote giveaways lotteries, sweepstakes, random drawings, raffles or contests aren’t allowed.
Can I sell raffle tickets on eBay?
You can’t sell any items that offer the opportunity to win a prize, so raffle tickets aren’t allowed on eBay.
Read our full policy
Chance listings policy overview
We don't allow listings or products that sell an opportunity to win an item or prize either by chance or in a skill contest. Specifically, we don't allow listings or products that promote giveaways, lotteries, sweepstakes, random drawings, raffles or contests. These types of promotions are highly regulated and may be unlawful in many states.
We may run such promotions on eBay sites, and we may allow our partners or third-party companies to run promotions that follow applicable laws.
Make sure your listings and products follow these guidelines. If they don't, they may be removed and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including listing fees not being refunded and limits of your buying and selling privileges.
What are the guidelines?Allowed in some situations
Bonus items are allowed as long as you follow these rules:
- Don't set any conditions that must be met before the bonus applies.
- Offer the exact same bonus item to all buyers in multiple item listings.
- Bonuses, free gifts and other items that don't significantly affect the value of the item may not be included in the listing title.
Grab bags can be listed as long as you follow these rules:
- Identify all contents; the number, quality or condition of each item doesn't need to be identified.
- Don't single out anything that "may" be included with significant monetary or collectable value.
"Box breaks" or similar trading card listings are allowed as long as you follow these rules:
- Don't call out a chance to win a specific card of significant monetary or collectable value.
- You must offer a full refund if the box doesn't contain the certain team or player the buyer purchased.
Examples of listings and products that are not allowed:
- Mystery items where contents aren't identified
- An opportunity to win an item by chance or skill
- Giveaways, lotteries, sweepstakes, random drawings, raffles or contests
Why does eBay have this policy?
eBay urges its sellers and buyers to comply with all governmental laws and regulations. Since lotteries, bonuses and giveaways are regulated or may cause harm to eBay or its members, sellers may not list them on eBay.