Instead, because the sale of property is highly regulated, and often involves very high values, real estate listings are a way for sellers to advertise their properties and meet potential buyers. The sale then takes place outside of eBay. For more details on listing real estate on eBay please read our full policy guidelines below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does a real estate listing work?
Real Estate category listings must appear in the classified ad format and will run for 28 days. The seller's contact information is displayed in the listing so interested buyers can get in touch directly to arrange viewings and negotiate terms.
We recommend that buyers and sellers seek advice from licensed professionals when agreeing to purchase and sale of real estate.
Can I list a property to rent?
Yes, as long as you personally own the property, have ownership rights, or you are an accredited travel provide or licensed travel agent.
For more information on accommodation rentals, see our Travel policy.
Read our full policy
Real estate policy overview
The sale of real estate is highly regulated. Listings in the Real Estate category must be listed in Classified Ad format. A real estate listing is not a legally binding offer to sell that property. Instead, similar to an ad in a newspaper, the listing provides a way for sellers to advertise their property to meet potential buyers. Any legally binding agreement is completed outside of eBay.
About listing in the Real Estate category:
- Classified Ad listings run for 28 days.
- Interested buyers can contact the seller by phone using the details displayed in the listing, or send them a message. The parties can arrange inspections etc. and negotiate terms of a potential sale.
- Any resulting transaction takes place outside of eBay.
Given the legal requirements surrounding the sale and purchase of real estate, as well as the large sums of money usually involved, both sellers and buyers should seek the help of a licensed professional.
For guidelines on rental listings, please see our Travel policy.
Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?Allowed
- Classified Ad listings for real estate/properties in the Home & Garden > Real Estate category
- Sellers are obliged to treat potential buyers' contact information in full compliance with our User Privacy Notice.
- Listing property or real estate for sale in any other category
Why does eBay have this policy?
We want to make sure all sellers and buyers understand and comply with all governmental laws and regulations. Since the sale and purchase of real estate is regulated, such sales can't be completed on eBay.